Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Jumbos are here!


I just received two M4A3E2 "Jumbo" Shermans from Fine Scale Factory.  These are very well detailed models, cast in resin. I ordered these from Lonewulf Models in the UK.  I was very pleased with my dealings with Adrian; he replied promptly to my enquiries and the models arrived less than a week after I made payment.  I needed two of these beasties, and fortunately he happened to have two kits remaining in stock!

 

I have to admit that the prospect of assembling resin tracks is somewhat daunting, but this review gives some good advice on how to do it, and the models certainly convey the solid-looking presence that the Jumbo, the most "butch" member of the Sherman family, managed to convey.

So far that gives me five vehicles for the 761st.  Two M4A3E2's, and three M4A3(76's).  

Next on the procurement bill will be another '76, and a 105mm support tank. 

Looking ahead, my eventual goal is to have a BKC campaign  based on the race to the Elbe.  This will include battlegroups based around not only the 761st Tank Battalion, but also the 220th Independent Tank Brigade for the Soviets and the (fictional!) Kampfgruppe Kunersdorf for the Germans.

The British/Commonwealth effort will be represented by my "home team"; the British Columbia Regiment  (Duke of Connaught's Own).  Also known as the 28th Armoured Regiment in WWII, it was part of the Canadian 4th Armoured Division with a distinguished career in the European theatre in 1944-45.  It is also the oldest regiment on establishment in the province.

Many times I used to pass by their home at the Beatty Street Armoury in Vancouver.  It looks like they still have those old Sherman and Ram tanks on display outside!


No comments:

Post a Comment